Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Choosing An Engagement Party Venue

In my last post, I talked about our search for the perfect venue for our engagement party. Because I'm a weirdo, I do things backwards.
Image: Vista PEAK

Or maybe, I'm just a rebel.


Personal Photo
Whichever it is, the point is that I don't do things as expected. The perfect example is this engagement party venue. We spent waaaaaay more time searching for a venue for this than we did for the wedding. We looked at three places for the wedding, and I chose almost immediately.

But we agonized over the engagement party. Momma Kettle and I looked online for a number of places. Then we decided to hit the pavement. Her friends gave her suggestions. We went to 21st and State to a lovely restaurant that looked perfect but is closed. So no free publicity silly closed restaurant that looked perfect.

Next we went to 21st and Michigan to a club/museum that was supposed to be a great option for an outdoor venue. I'm sorry, but you're not an outdoor venue and shouldn't advertise yourself as such if 85% of your outdoor area is mulch and another 10% is ceramic pavement and the last 5% is bushes.

Now hive, y'all know how I feel about people not handling their business.

Personal Photo of thinly veiled displeasure
Moving on. A friend of my mother's mentioned the South Loop Hotel. We couldn't find it (ahem... because she couldn't remember the address). So we gave up and headed south on State toward my apartment. Then we passed by it and did a quick u-turn to check it out.

It looked like my style, which I can't really explain. But it's a cross between classic and modern with an odd quirk thrown in.

 So, we went in to check out the grand ballroom my mother had been told about over the phone when she called earlier in the week. Except... there was no grand ballroom. There were only medium sized meeting rooms. We ended up strolling around the hotel just to see what they had to offer. We took note of their flower shop for later. I had finally saw an arch there I didn't hate with a visceral passion, so it was worth noting.

Then we stumbled across the restaurant in the hotel. And it was love at first sight.

Image: The Gloss
We strolled around the restaurant and the woman who happens to book private events there came out to talk to us. A hundred quick questions from my mother and I later and we were ready to put down money on the place.

I called Mr. Kettle to check to see if he wanted to see the place first. When I told him where it was, he said he knew that place and actually had just gotten a gig there for the next night (well that's the sum total of what happened in short version). I know you're dying to see/hear what the place is. So without further ado....

Personal photo: This is a shot of the main dining room. Not where we had the party, but definitely the first thing that caught my eye when we walked in.

Personal photo: more of the main dining room. Funky, but classic, no?

Personal photo: This is the entrance to the private room where we had the party. Something about this room just called to me as I approached it.

Personal photo: Even just looking super regular on a Wednesday afternoon, it looked perfect to me. Not much would have to be done to this space, thank God!

Personal photo: Gotta love the visual interest on the ceiling. And the window dressing were great too.

Personal photo: Close up of that fabulous ceiling. Love the colors, candles, etc.

Personal photo: What people would see as they're walking into the place toward our private room.

Personal photo: The bathrooms. Can you see the leather couch and mirror? Even this area is well-decorated.

Personal photo: Lounge area up front. As we spread out into the restaurant to cool down, this space really came in handy.

Personal photo: Right inside the entrance. As we were leaving, I kept turning back to take photos. Did I mention I love this restaurant?
We're having our engagement party at the L26 Restaurant in their private room in the back. Momma Kettle and I stayed for dinner and the food is fantastic. Since then, we've been back twice for Mr. Kettle's gigs. His birthday was one of those days so his parents and mine joined us and the food is really really really good. And the price really makes us happy.

I was so excited for this location. And it really turned out well. I'm looking forward to my post about the party.

Were you more excited for your venue for your e-party than your wedding reception? Did planning the e-party go smoothly?

No comments: