Saturday, January 14, 2012

How To Over-Complicate Decisions - Wedding Vows Edition

Mr. Kettle wants us to write our own, I don't. We're like the opposite of Miss Doily. Mr. Doily didn't want to write their own but she did.

Mr. Kettle is the king of compromise and taught me an awful lot about the beauty of compromising. My main issue with with the vows is that I've felt a bit on display with all the pre-wedding events. I know, I know. I'm a bride. And with a large wedding, I will definitely be on display. But I just didn't want to have to write those vows to him and have to feel like every one was watching and listening, and yes, maybe judging.

Hive, I know this is probably a ridiculous feeling, since everyone there is there to support the start of our marriage, but I just couldn't get past it. But Mr. Kettle really really wanted us to write our own vows.

So we came to a compromise.

We wrote our own vows. Together. We will say the same vows to each other. Mrs. Eggs Benedict is the one that first gave me the idea. I liked the idea so much that I included it in a Weddingbee post.

Mr. Kettle and I sat down the other night and wrote our vows. I won't share them until after we say them at our wedding, but I can say that they were ridiculously easy to write.

I was surprised at how easy they were to write. We focused on our tripod foundation for our relationship: Love, Trust, Communication. We knew we wanted to include lots of Jesus/God stuff as well. Since we talk about those four things a lot, the vows pretty much wrote themselves.

Also, Mr. Kettle is wonderful with words when he thinks them through first. After 20 minutes, we had 8 lines to say to each other. Well 9 lines. We're starting with a line we joked about including in our vows almost a year ago and decided to go ahead and put in just for us.

I didn't put a lot of thought into our vows before we wrote them, so it didn't add to my stress. Checking it off the to-do list, however, did relieve a lot of stress. Every little thing that gets checked off lifts weight off my shoulders.

Did you write your own vows? Did you write them together? Was it easy to choose what to say?

No comments: