Saturday, August 20, 2011

How My Wedding Dress Is Like My Future Husband

Mr. Kettle promised not to look at my wedding dress. Do you know what that means hive? Hold that thought...

Back to what I was saying. Hive, today is the day I confirm all your suspicions. I will reveal, to much fanfare, but not much surprise, my dress!

It's such a special dress. It's made for women who are either very short or very tall. Seriously, if you're 5'4"-5'8", I can't even imagine how you'd pull this off unless you have some unconventional torso-leg proportions.

I've loved this dress since the moment we put down the first down payment. Even though almost every dress I tried on looked good, this one was exceptional.

When I went for my veil consultation/size-for-ordering-confirmation, I was dying to try on the sample for my dress again. There were two other brides there. They were both trying on dresses. Again. Like, for the second and third time. Perhaps it's the indecisive person in me, but I'd never put down money on a wedding dress that I wasn't sure about.

If I were anything less than completely sure, I'd be guaranteed to be like them. I'd be back in the shop, trying on another 20 dresses. To me it's like finding a husband. You don't stop trying on dresses until you've found THE ONE. And then once you've found it, you're done. You stop shopping because you've found your heart's desire. You don't do this:

Image: India Times / Photo via Getty Images
Even if you come across others dresses you could possibly love, they end up not being enough. You don't even want to try them on. If you don't feel like this about a dress, keep looking. Of course, if you wait too long to find a dress or have an extra short engagement, the rules change.

Just like I knew almost right away my fiance was the one, I knew the same thing about this dress. And unlike a living breathing person, my dress is just waiting for me to take it home (or will be in December). Did I mention I love my wedding dress? It is unconventional, but it makes me feel like a bride like nothing else I tried on. Kind of like how Mr. Kettle makes me feel like a wife like no guy I've ever dated.

Without further ado, my dress!

Image: JA #8465 / Dress by Justin Alexander
Image also via Justin Alexander / Don't you just looooooove the detail on the bodice? And I love cummerbunds. If the guys wouldn't wear one, I certainly would!

No comments: