Wednesday, August 17, 2011

RSVP Karma Worry

I've been very worried about how RSVPs will go for all our wedding events because of two people, namely my mother and my fiance. Momma Kettle and Mr. Kettle are both.. RSVP-delinquents. Seriously, hive, they never never RSVP. I just knew this would cause a catastrophe for our wedding-related events because that's how karma works.

Many a bride have had to track down my momma to ask about attendance at a wedding for my mother only to respond, "I'm not sure yet. I'll let you know next week." And to my knowledge Mr Kettle has never RSVP'd to a wedding he wasn't a musician at.

In dramatic fashion, I've been drawing the back of my hand to my forehead and sighing worriedly that no one will RSVP to our events. Don't worry, I knew they'd come, I just figured we'd never be able to get an accurate head count ahead of time.

Our e-party invites had gone out and on them people were asked to either call/text my mother with their RSVP or go to our wedding website and do it.

There have been all types of responses. A couple called/texted my mom and a couple went to our website. But oh, there were others.

There were rebels.

Personal Photo
One of our friends RSVP'd through Facebook on Mr. Kettle's wall. And he wanted to bring a plus one. Mr. Kettle had to inform him that he wasn't getting a plus one for our e-party or any other wedding event.

That's rough to say, but if we're not inviting family members and close friends of our own, we certainly don't have room for extra random people two and three degrees of separation away.

I think the rules of plus ones are pretty simple. Spouses, children living in the house, significant others in years-long relationships, those who live together, and engaged peoples. The one exception to this is if someone is invited who knows no one there other than the bride or groom.

Wedding Planning Tip #6: Don't forget to put a date by which you want people to RSVP!! I forgot to do that. Luckily, we only needed a head count 3 days before the event. Luck was on my side with this. I won't make that mistake again, trust me.

We had way more people show up to our e-party than we had RSVPs for. It wasn't a big deal because it was just a cocktail party. But I was right about the bad RSVP karma. I just hope we have enough pre-wedding events to use up all the karma so we're back in neutral by the time December rolls around. Wish us luck.

Does anyone else have RSVP worries? Any brides have to track down invitees?

No comments: