Friday, August 5, 2011

Heating Up The Water - Getting To Know How The Kettles Ended Up Together

In this saga towards being engaged, I left off at my decision that I wanted Mr. Kettle all for my very own. That was right around the time he decided he only wanted to date the other woman he was already dating when he met me.

Ouch! Image via Oldham Athletic Blog
That's pretty close to how I felt, except maybe it was my heart instead of my face. He wanted to be friends-- I wanted him to kiss my @*#. Over the next couple months, I began dating someone else who had a ton of baggage from his last relationship and began doubting my taste in men.

Mr. Kettle was realizing that perhaps he had chosen the wrong girl. He was really missing me and things weren't going well with her. They had a lot of incompatibilities that made him realize they weren't right for each other. He would text/call me occasionally during this time. I mostly ignored all of these calls.

Turns out, that was the best thing to do. He was missing me more and more and it was killing him that he couldn't talk to me. It made him realize that he really wanted me around and he wanted me back. What happens next was just like a movie. After he called me and left a voicemail (I definitely pressed ignore) saying how much he missed me and how it was really important that he talk to me, I agreed, after hours of texting back and forth, to talk to him.

It was evening, and it was raining. He picked me up from my parents' house. When we first saw each other, he hugged me and kissed me while "I Wish It Would Rain" by Mayer Hawthorne played on the car stereo. He told me later he wasn't leaving the city (he was working in St. Louis at the time) until he got a chance to talk to me.
Image of Mayer Hawthorne's music video via The Incubator Blog

It took only a matter of weeks before we had hashed out all the issues from before and agreed to date each other exclusively. We put ourselves back on track to continue to get to know one another. We re-built trust and communication and it wasn't long before love came into play as well.

When Mr. Kettle first told me he loved me, it was also quite like a movie. One of my favorite movies is The Holiday.

Image via Amazon.com
The first time I visited St. Louis after we reconnected, Mr. Kettle sat down to watch this movie while I was cooking dinner. We had rented it from Blockbuster expressly for this purpose. While watching the scene in which Jude Law professes his love for Cameron Diaz, Mr. Kettle decides it's a good time to tell me he was in love with me.

I think what actually happened is that those emotions were building up inside him and seeing that scene in the movie made the lid blow off. Like a completely skittish, emotionally-deficient person, I said a whole bunch of nothing and ran off to the kitchen to cook.

It took me another week or so to say it back. We both knew I had been feeling it for quite a while, I was just extra apprehensive about saying it. But once I did, we were officially in the full swing of our honeymoon phase. You know what I'm talking about. That moment where both people are in love and feeling it.

It really wasn't too much later that we began discussing the possibility of getting married. We still weren't ready to be boyfriend and girlfriend, but we were, you know, considering all our options.

Did any of your big relationship moments resemble a romantic comedy? How long into your relationship did you declare your love?

No comments: