Friday, August 5, 2011

Heating Up The Water - Getting To Know How The Kettles Met

Okay hive, this is the post where I try to dive into how we met and our story of how we ended up proposed. It's a story that seems to take longer to tell than the time we've actually been together, but I will try my best.

When I was younger, we're talking 10-15 years ago, I went to a music conservatory. I was classically trained in choral singing and piano. It was an amazing time in my life and I learned a lot though I made no friends and never quite got over my hangup about playing in front of people.

During this time, there was a guy at the music school that I thought was incredibly cute. No mystery here, it was a younger Mr. Kettle. I thought he was so cute with his afro and his big nose (I have a thing for big noses). And he had a special sort of something about him that made me swoon every time he had to play his sax during assembly.

We never spoke during this time and I never knew his name. I didn't really want to know his name, he was just a crush. Now fast forward to July 2, 2010. I attended the wedding of a friend I grew up with at church. Mr. Kettle tells this part of the story much better. He remembers laying eyes on me and deciding I was beautiful and looked like a lot of fun and therefore he had to approach me at the reception.

I was feeling amazing that day. I had just lost almost 20 pounds and I was wearing a new sexy dress. I also had just gotten my hair locked for the first time (I'll explain that later). I noticed there were a lot of young, probably single men at the wedding. I was also feeling fed up with lack of progress with the guy I was currently dating. Mr. Kettle was fresh out of one relationship and just on the outskirts of a new relationship.

All this adds up to both of us looking to just have fun. At the reception, we ended up near each other on the dance floor. Fast forward to the end of the reception and we were having so much fun that we made plans to go out. In one hour.

We went out after the wedding and had so much fun we made plans to go out the next day. The next day we had so much fun we made more plans. And more plans. And 15 days later, we realized we had only spent a couple days apart since we met.

We were both convinced at that point that we were just having fun hanging out. That's why I have no pictures of us except a few from Facebook that other people took. By the end of the summer, I was completely smitten with him. He constantly showered me with compliments and told me how much he liked me and how glad he was he met me. I had decided that the casual hanging out thing perhaps wasn't good enough.

I'll continue this story in the next post.

Were you and your FI dating other people when you met? Was the transition to dating only each other a smooth one?

No comments: