Sunday, February 26, 2012

Getting Married Once or Twice, Part Two

Where we last left off, I was having nightmares about the size of my wedding. Sure I wanted 35 people in my wedding party, but I didn't want 10 times that many people eye balling me out in the crowd during the ceremony.

So I just stuck my head in the sand and avoided all wedding talk I could. They didn't try to talk to me about it, but everyone from my parents to my maid of honor and definitely Mr. Kettle could tell something was wrong.


About 10 days before our wedding, I asked Mr. Kettle, "Do you really want to get married next Saturday?" That question, understandably so, freaked him out. After a confusing 15 min or so, he figured out that I wasn't trying to suggest I didn't want to marry him, I just didn't want to get married on that day.

He then suggested, "why don't we get married before that day?" He knew I didn't want to call off the wedding. He knew eloping wasn't an option. He figured we could just get married a couple days before Saturday. That was on Saturday, we'd be married and I wouldn't have to feel like I was sharing such an intimate moment with all these people I didn't even know.

As soon as he said the words, I felt a million times better. I didn't even know I could feel better. I had resigned myself to feeling more anxiety and resentment than anything else. And with one short sentence, Mr. Kettle made everything better.

I knew it wasn't that simple. Our parents were probably not going to love the pre-wedding idea. We'd have to pick a day when our immediate family would even be available to come to a pre-wedding. We had two officiants, and we wanted both of them there, so that had to be worked out too.

Oh, and there's the marriage license dilemma. In Illinois, you must get your license in the county you'll get married in. Saturday was in Will County. But everyone lives in Cook County. We hadn't gotten our license yet because of timing and business, so that kind of worked out. We just went to the Markham Courthouse, which was much easier to get to, and got our license for Cook County.

Next, I'll talk about breaking the news to people, and getting married for the first time.

No comments: