Friday, October 7, 2011

Wedding Registries And Marriages

I'm going today with BM Libra and BM Law to add more items to our registry. That got me thinking about this post I wrote, but never got around to posting. Maybe... ahem... because I still haven't done my post on the first trip to the registry with Momma Kettle and Mr. Kettle.

I looked up our registry info to confirm our China selection to comment on one of Miss Teacup's posts. It turns out there are three, count them, three grooms with Mr. Kettle's exact name getting married in the next 6 months.

To my bride brain, this was ridiculously funny. Don't ask why. I texted Mr. Kettle to see if he was secretly a polygamist. It wouldn't be so secret since he used the same name, but I found it hilarious. It's nice to have the escapes from all the serious things that must be considered and mulled over in the wedding world.

What would you do if you found out your fiance was a polygamist? Sounds like a Lifetime movie, right?

Well, Mr. Kettle did confess to being a polygamist and didn't seem too upset that I'd caught him. It's not like he was trying real hard to hide it. If you knew him at all, you'd know this was his oddball humor. I love his sense of humor and we had a hearty laugh over it.

But it got me to thinking about non-traditional marriages. I know polygamy isn't America's thing, but there are all types of different marriages. There are brides (and grooms) who are on their second, third, or fourth marriage.

There are blended families where they're raising kids from several different mixes of parents. There are marriages where they come from completely different cultures/backgrounds/age ranges. There's the occasional mail-order bride (does that still happem?)

Mr. Kettle and I come from similar backgrounds and home lives. We were both born in 1984. Both of our parents have been together for around 30 years. We both have a college degree with an interest in getting an advanced degree. We both grew up in the south side of the Chicago area. Neither of have children, but we both want a lot. We even went to the same music conservatory as kids, moving in lightly interconnected circles our whole lives. I don't know if that makes things easier, probably not, but there is a level of familiarity there.

I 'd love to hear from you hive. What kind of marriage are you having in terms of backgrounds of the bride and groom?

No comments: