Friday, August 12, 2011

Kettle Color Cull

Anyone want to say this post title three times fast? It's hard. Hehe, I crack me up.

Okay hive, it was quite the journey to our current color palette, but I'm very happy with how it turned out. I've alluded to our colors here and there and mentioned some changes we went through. Ultimately, I'm very happy with how it turned out.

When Mr. Kettle first proposed, I was thinking blue. Like a nice, happy, royal blue.

Image: Royal Blue Tuxedo Vest from Tuxedos Online
That didn't last long. Mr. Kettle and I agreed to it the night we got engaged, and we told my parents the idea and they loved it. Within 24 hours, his mother Mima Kettle suggested we do more of a royal purple instead.

Image: Royal Purple Paint Color from Art-Paints.com
Everyone liked that idea, including me. I was trying to pick a color that wasn't too feminine, but Mr. Kettle liked the idea of purple. So that became our color.

I was hesitant to nail down the rest of our colors because I knew I didn't want a white dress, but I didn't know what color I'd end up with. I was still thinking about that floral number. We were in color limbo for a couple weeks just on that image alone.

Luckily, Momma Kettle and I, along with FNIL Sniffles, FSIL Grand, and FSIL Hon, quickly chose a wedding dress for me. Knowing I'd have a taupe/tan/coffee/whatever dress (yes, those of you who guessed that one have yet another tip that you're thinking of the right dress!), I was given a bit more direction for the colors.

Mr. Kettle had this tie I hated, but I noticed was the perfect color scheme. The taupe in it perfectly matched my dress and it looked great next to black. Also, there were gold accents in the tie that matched something else: my shoes!


Image: Badgley Mischka Foxy Pumps / Available for Sale on Weddingbee by norahw!
I saw these lovely shoes in Lord and Taylor when I was shopping for birthday shoes last October. I immediately purchased them. I danced the night away and haven't worn them since because they're so fancy. I brought them with me to try on with wedding dresses and they went so well with my dress, it was an easy decision to make these my Something Old!

So we had purple, taupe/tan/coffee/whatever, and black, with gold accents. I felt like we needed to pick either white or ivory to round out the colors, but I couldn't decide. I did know I could see a sea of white-ish roses for bouquets or decorations, so we had to pick something in that value range.
There was a purple bridesmaid dress in there that went perfectly with my dress, the shades were sooo complimentary. That was the color I went with for my Thank You wreath for our e-pics. But that color choice didn't last long.

I'll explain how we got away from that shade of purple when I explain how we ended up with the bridesmaid dresses for my ladies. But just know for now that after searching for dresses, we changed to a magical color created by one Bill Levkoff called Regency.


Image: Bill Levkoff Color Swatch by Ella Park Bridal
 That color was a magical special color. It looks purple in real life. A beautiful, rich purple that compliments the skin tone of all my girls. And bonus, it photographs blue! And the blue color that shows up in photos is very similar to the color I wanted in the first place.

I couldn't decide between white and ivory so I basically flipped a mental coin and picked ivory because the color felt richer and warmer, which made me feel better emotionally about the colors for our wedding.

So now, our colors are: Regency, Coffee, Ivory, Black, and Gold accents. Thanks to Adobe Kuler, I was able to play around until I got just the right colors for our color palette.

By now you're all thinking, "enough talking! Just show us the colors!!!" Okay, here you go.


Image: Color Palette on Adobe Kuler
Having this palette has been super useful for things like our wedding invitations, which have just begun to be designed, yay!

Also for flower choices, and to help the guys visualize what color vests they'll be wearing. Which could be any of those. Except the gold. This isn't the 1970s.

How did you choose your color palette? Did it change a million times?

No comments: